Wednesday 14 November 2012

My Sourcebook For Our Modern Country Girls' Bedroom

I received lots of questions throughout this Modern Country Girls' Bedroom series about where we sourced various items, so I thought I'd include all my favourites in one handy reference post. 


I love the paint colours in your girls' bedroom! What did you use?
We used Farrow and Middleton Pink (Colour Study here) in their Modern Emulsion, which stands up to little children's sticky fingers very well! It's a gentle, enveloping pink, not at all cold but not overly sweet either. Just what I was searching for!


...and Dulux White on the ceiling and woodwork.


Where can I buy Dulux White?
Dulux White is a really lovely plain and simple white, particularly in gloss form. As it ages, it turns very slightly creamy, which I love. However, it does seem hard to track down, largely because there are millions of other types of white paint to confuse us all! I buy Dulux White from Relics of Witney - you can order it here.


Your curtains are beautiful! I'd love to know where they're from.
The fabric is from Cabbages and Roses. We've used their gorgeous Hatley fabric in the pink colourway. I am officially in love with all things Hatley! It's a style that seems completely timeless yet also manages to be the height of fashion at the same time. Magic...


What heading did you use for the curtains? It's so pretty.
We used a simple pencil pleat. I didn't want anything complicated to detract from the delicate gorgeousness of the Cabbages and Roses' Hatley!


Where can I get some of that bunting? It's perfect!
I'm sorry to be super-annoying but this is a one-off from Ebay. It's worth keeping an eye out for as similar items do come up sometimes.


Please will you tell me where you bought your girls' bedding?
The Millie quilts, pink gingham pillow cases and duvets are all from The White Company. The girls love them too!


I love the colour of your lamp!


All the furniture is mine from when I was a little girl!


The lampshade is from The White Company


Are your doors original?
No, we bought our doors from a local salvage yard, and had them stripped and waxed. They originally belonged to Oxford University. {I love that!}


Is the stone wall original?
Yes, it is. Funnily enough, when it was part of the larger room, I really didn't like the look of it, it seemed odd-looking, but since we've split the room into two, I've totally changed my tune; it gives this bedroom bags of character.


Was the flooring original?
Yes, the pine floorboards were underneath the pink carpet that was here when we moved in. We had them sanded, stained with Colron's Medium Oak woodstain and then sealed with clear matte varnish.


What did you do with that sweet chest of drawers in the 'Before' photo?
It belonged to the previous owners! This photo is from before we moved in.


Do your girls keep their room that tidy all the time?
Hah! What do you think?! Actually, they are pretty great at tidying - and I've provided loads of storage in this room, which definitely helps!


I have to say I've loved every moment of creating our Modern Country Girls' Bedroom....I sometimes stand in here and just breathe it all in!!


Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





18 comments :

Teresa said...

Everything so lovely! My daughter wouldn't like none of what your girls are having and loving - I've just finished describing her as Pippi Longstocking ahahahah - but I loved every detail of it. And you're very kind to share the proccess and products with your readers.
I'm going to HATLEY now. Those curtains are lovely beyond words. They're out of stock now but I bet I can find other romantic pattern in there. Every woman has a little girl inside that deserves the beauty and loveliness printed in it.
Love,
Teresa

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I reckon Pippi Longstocking for a daughter would be pretty cool!!

Yes, it's definitely worth checking out Cabbages and Roses' other fabrics too - all so gorgeous!

Sarahx

Shelly Wildman said...

I've been following along, but haven't had a chance to comment lately. This is beautiful, Sarah! Your girls are so lucky to have a mum who can pull this off. :)

Unknown said...

It all looks so lovely, what a perfect girlie retreat X

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

God Almighty. I'm actually reeling from the fact that your girls are "pretty good at tidying". I only wish my daughter was *heavy sigh*. Lovely room btw. Beautiful bedding. xx

Unknown said...

Love the room Sarah...you've done such a good job. I especially love the stone wall at the back with the pink wall next to it. It all looks so good. Well done, very inspiring! love Babs

Travel With Lulu said...

LOVE that the doors are from Oxford University AND that the furniture was yours when you were little. Utter perfection. Now, you didn't say what you did with all that pink carpet - ha!

Lydia said...

Thank you for sharing the resources. The stone wall absolutely grounds the room.

Louise said...

You are such a darling, your love for your kids really show in your care for their room, your love transformed to a soft, safe yet energetic pink haven. It is very nice to share.

Karen said...

Your girls have such a sweet, lovingly decorated room - they are fortunate!
I think it's lovely that all the furniture was yours from your childhood. My childhood furniture was from my aunt (when she was a child) which I always considered extra special - even though it was a few decades out of style, I loved it! xo K.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Yes, I looooooove seeing our girlies using that furniture, it warms the cockles of my heart!

Sarahx

Nancy at maddalee™ said...

Hi Sarah, what an adorable and lovely room! I am a new follower, and there may be some things at Maddalee you might like. Thank you for sharing.

Nancy

maddalee.blogspot.com

Agata said...

The bedroom looks absolutely fantastic! Just like the rest of your house. You've done a great job :-)

Stephanie said...

This is the perfect little girls' room! It's just so lovely and so pretty...I LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

You've done a beautiful job with your girls' room, Sarah! It is so sweet and pretty! How lovely that the furniture is from when you were little :)

Thank you so much for your lovely words, baby and I are getting lots of cuddles and I'm taking in every little moment. This also means little time for anything else but that doesn't matter right now :)

Hugs,
Meera

Unknown said...

It looks so lovely! The pink paint is so pretty, soft and not at all cloying which pink can sometimes be! Oooh aren't your girls so lucky to have such a talented mummy with such a good eye! Love that the furniture is from when you were a wee one. Fab job!! xxx

Blogger said...

Hey everybody, If you like building sheds like me, here's a great site for you to download shed plans:

DOWNLOAD 12,000 SHED PLANS

Blogger said...

Get your access to 16,000 woodworking plans.

Teds Woodworking has more than 16,000 woodworking plans with STEP BY STEP instructions, pics and blueprints to make all projects simple and easy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10