Tuesday 7 December 2010

Wreath Week: Naturally Beautiful

Welcome, my lovelies, to ...

DAY TWO OF WREATH WEEK!!

Are you getting dolled up for Friday's Wreath link party? It's my first ever and I'd love you to be there with me. Thank you SO much to those of you who've posted my Wreath Friday button on your blogs.

I've put a copy of the button on the top of my sidebar, if any of you would like to join in the fun!

And what have I got for you today?

Taaaaa-dahhhh.....


This wreath-making session is for those of you that like something a little more natural at Christmas-time.

Have you seen this beauty from Pottery Barn? Now's your chance to make your very own!

Although, a friend of a friend of a friend has been known to leave wreaths up all year.

{Alright, you got me, that was moi...}


Natural wreaths are easy-peasy to make.
All you need are dried flowers and some glue...oh, and your home-made freebie wreath base from yesterday's post!


It's best to think of these natural wreaths in terms of having three layers on the base.


The first layer's purpose is for general coverage. This should be in a neutral colour in order to show the other layers off to their best advantage. You could try something like sage but I like santolina stems best. I love the white-grey colour and they're so easy to work with.


Layer two is the supporting role, made up of one or two different types of small-ish flowers or seed heads. This layer provides some colour and prettiness to the wreath without detracting from layer three! My wreath uses lavender for layer two, which adds a beautiful fragrance too.

{It also makes getting your hands covered in glue that much more enjoyable when you're surrounded by a heavy fug of gorgeous scent.}


And the final layer is the star of the show! Beautiful flowers or seed heads that draw your eye and give the wreath the wow-factor! Here I used large dried hydrangeas that only have a touch of their pinkness left. SO pretty.

{I have a thing about hydrangeas.}


Don't worry too much about your choices, though. As long as your chosen flowers dry well, just go with what you love. I love using flowers from my garden here in England so I just work with what's available.




So, now we've chosen our three layers, we're ready to begin!


Tie any hanging ribbon or raffia to the wreath before you start adding flowers because it's a nightmare to put in afterwards.

{So speaks the sad voice of experience....}


Taking a stem from layer one, dip the end into the pva glue and push it into the wreath. Repeat with more and more stems, overlapping each one with the previous, until all the base is covered.


Then, take small bunches of your layer two choice and continue the process. Glue, push in, glue push in...


Finally, put in three or five of your layer three flowers, equally spaced, round your wreath.

I've only chosen photos of the finished wreath this time because gluing photos aren't much to look at!!


Oooh, pretty wreath, I love you!...and I'm linking up to lovely Holly's party at Homebody.


Next time, I'll be sharing how to make a more typically Christmassy wreath. It's my absolute favourite!!

Cinnamon and Oranges anyone?

I'm partying with my favourite girls in the sidebar.
 


Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





51 comments :

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

This is really beautiful, looking forward to what you show next! Janell

Unknown said...

It's gorgeous!
This wreath can be hung all the year!
Next year we'll restructure the old house of my parents in-laws, there I'd like to have a blue door and a wreath like this would be perfect!
Mari

Anonymous said...

Loooooooove this wreath! Absolutely beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, your wreath is gorgeous!! It looks perfect.

Kathy

Erin said...

Sarah, that is gorgeous!!!! I love the elements and it makes me long for Spring, how fresh is that!

Blondie's Journal said...

This is one of the prettiest wreaths I have ever seen. I would definitely keep it up year round! Thanks for the instructions!

XO,
Jane

Denise @ Simply Weekends said...

That is so pretty! And thank you for explaining the three layers of a wreath...I get so overwhelmed when thinking about making a wreath, but I could definitely handle it using your three-step theory. Thanks and have a great day!

Denise

michelle said...

Ok, that is just gorgeous!!! Your garden must be beautiful, those hydrangeas are perfect!!! So, so pretty my friend!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Sarah, How very pretty your wreath looks. Incredibly stylish, its understated elegance would grace any door [or room for that matter] the year round. It does seem a pity to only have it in place for Christmas....although perhaps by June it may be a little dusty!!

The dancing shoes are being polished for Friday [I trust there will be dancing?]. I am so looking forward to seeing everyone's creations.

Heather said...

ooooh that wreath is lovely. Would be so pretty at early spring with its muted colors.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh... that wreath is divine! I think you took all of my favorite flowers and wrapped them in a wreath. The hydrangeas are gorgeous! I can only imagine what's next...

Beautiful... beautiful!

xx,
~Michelle

Anonymous said...

U...up on the housetop, click click click...V, Violins and angels sing...W, wreaths (of course:)...X, X-mas...Y, Yuletide...Z, Zeal (what you feel spending the holiday with family and friends).

That about sums it up! Thanks for the giggle.

See you soon! xx

Tricia said...

Very pretty Sarah! I love lavender and hydrangeas too :)

Tricia said...

Forgot to tell you that I added your button to my blog ♥ Have a good day.

Mrs Buttercup said...

I love the wreath...it's so pretty. I'm really looking forward to the Christmassy one next. xx

Anonymous said...

I am wreath-challenged. With the exception of my last venture (thank you for your nice comment), ALL my previous attempts have been lackluster at best. Even the one I have currently hanging on my front door lacks something. Genetics didn't bless me with wreath making skills, so I look forward to the rest of this week to pick up some tips from truly creative sources! Thanks so much--diane

LindyLouMac said...

This wreath is gorgeous and far too good to be just for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

wauw, i like him! i will try to put your button on my blog.

greetings

Anonymous said...

Beautiful my friend!

Courtenay@Signal Hill Interiors said...

Well, now I just wish I had dried some flowers in the fall when I had the chance. Oh well, I think I'll do lots next year. This is a great all-year wreath too I think! I already think I'm going to be stealing your ideas from tomorrow, btw.

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

I can almost smell the lavender! This is so charming, so beautiful!

Congratulations!

Every time I come back here I admire you more. You're incredible.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Florist in the Forest said...

Beautiful wreaths. I have added your button to my blog to spread the love of wreaths!
Look forward to all the other creations this week.

V@WhimsyLamb said...

I love this! so pretty!
I am a new follower=)
To answer your question on my blog, I have a Canon 50d,upgrading to a 7d next month. I hope you get your camera for christmas!

GoldenValley50 said...

Santolina stems? (are they those white/grey spindly stems in your wreath?)/dried hydrangeas/lavender - OMG Sarah my brain is in OVERDRIVE again thinking what I could use from my tropical garden as a substitute. I've only just managed to sort out what I'm using for the long bendy wreath base!! Looks like another wander around the garden coming up..... ;)Sharyne
PS - I actually just want YOURS! (Do you think it would pass quarantine?? - LOL)

Tina said...

Sarah, your wreath is absolutely stunning and has all the flowers that I love! Thank you for such fabulous tutorials, I may work up the courage to give one a go! I have just found your email and will reply today, you gorgeous girl!! Thank you :D Hugs ~ Tina xx

Vanessa said...

Sarah, of course your button right under my "friends in blogland" title means that you are numero uno! :-) LOL! I love this wreath and I'm almost ashamed to tell you that I have 3 or 4 really wide grapevine wreaths just sitting all pitifully on the floor in the attic. Will you still be my friend? I just know wreath week will get me motivated to give them some new life!
Vanessa

Kirsty Girl said...

Stunning! I love those colours!

deb said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! I have a thing for hydrangeas too! And I have lavender bushes I love
You picked my fav flowers and colors...thank you ;)
Anxious to see what tomorrow brings
*hugs*deb

Eileen @ Cottage Beach House said...

Oh this is the prettiest wreath I have seen around. I wish I had some dried flowers to make one! I love it.

Miranda @ Pressing On said...

Lovely job. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the Christmas wreath!

The Moerks said...

Very very pretty. I will try and remember to play along on friday.

Anonymous said...

Wow this wreath is really stunning, really looking forward to the rest of the weeks wreaths! I definitely want to have a go at making a few this year!
Thanks for sharing! x

Holly said...

Very pretty! Did all those flowers come from your garden?
I love hydrangeas.

High Street Cottage said...

Sarah, you and I seem to have so much in common, I am beginning to wonder if we're not sisters from another mister! haha!
I too make wreaths, have done so for the past 20 years. I love the one you put together here. It's just stunning and can work for any occasion. The colors are delish. Thank you so much for your kind emails my dear, you really are a doll, hugs tami

Unknown said...

Hi! New follower! You can visit me at mymodernguide.blogspot.com

Beki

Little Leslie said...

Those flowers are gorgeous. I'm going to try that after the holidays, when I have some time.Thanks, Sarah, for commenting on my photographic skills. I love my new IPhone. It takes the best pictures I've ever done. Isn't that weird?

Simple Home said...

So pretty Sarah! You are a wreath making professional!!
Blessings,
Marcia

Heaven's Walk said...

What a beautiful wreath, Sarah! It's the most beautiful floral one I've ever laid my eyes on, girl! Thank you for the tutorial, too. It really helps us craft-rookies! :)

xoxo laurie

A Room For Everyone said...

That's it - next year I'm making a wreath! I wanted to this year but haven't got around to it.. I love all the ones you've posted, just gorgeous and very natural..Rachaelxx

Holly said...

Thanks for joining the party :)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

What's not to love about that? I have a wreath in every room~it is so much easier than a tree!

Unknown said...

this is so so lovely!!!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hey there Sarah, I love this wreath~ the hydrangeas are gorgeous! Beautiful the way you have put all the flowers together~ thanks for sharing at my party!

Dee@FrenchBleuVintage said...

Oh now this is just gorgeous. Im saving it in my to be done after the Holidays file - thanks again.

Cidinha said...

Absolutely beautiful!Thank you for the tutorial. I love those colours!

Cidinha

Melissa said...

That turned out beautifully! Thanks for linking up to Tuesday Tell All!

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

This is Gorgeous!!!

Shaunna said...

So gorgeous. I'm so impressed with you! Thanks for linking up the brilliance. ;-) shaunna

Debra@CommonGround said...

Love the colors in this beautiful wreath, the hydrangea is just wonderful. Thanks for the how-to! And thanks for linking up with VIF!
hugs,
Debra

Holly Lefevre said...

You, my friend, made wreath week shine! All of your tutorials and your designs are amazing and just inspiring. I want to make wreaths and put them everywhere!

Leticia said...

This is so beautiful....I have a thing for hydrangeous also....I have them in my yard and try to use them everywhere. Thanks so much for sharing something so beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10