Friday 17 December 2010

Cinnamon Starburst Wreath AND Centrepiece!!


I was almost beside myself with joy when I suddenly had the idea that if the hole in the centre of a wreath was made to be a specific size, I realised I could use my Cinnamon Starburst Wreath as a gorgeous Christmas table centre-piece with a candle burning in the middle.


Well, I've been planning and refining it to make it as perfect as possible for you and now it's ready for its full reveal!!

 Cinnamon, candles AND Christmas table centre-piece?

{Excitement overload!!}

Let me show you how I unfolded the plan.

This is what I needed:


A kg of cinnamon sticks;
A piece of thick sturdy cardboard;
Some lovely gorgeous material;
Super Glue;
DecoArt So Soft Fabric Paint
Large paintbrush


Step 1
To make the wreath base, I drew around my large pillar candle onto a piece of really thick, strong cardboard. It really does need to be strong to support the weight of the cinnamon sticks.


 Then, using a side plate, I drew a larger circle around it.


 I cut out the inner circle and around the outer circle so that I had a perfectly-sized wreath base.



Step 2
I began placing the cinnamon sticks onto the wreath base, spacing them evenly.



I attached the cinnamon sticks to the base using Super Glue.
Oh my goodness, that stuff is STRONG!
{Top tip: don't tap your fingers together to see if you have glue on them. Yup, that was me!!}


You can either apply the Gorilla Super Glue to the sticks or directly to the base itself. Try to use the thicker pieces first, as the thinner sticks are good for filling in gaps at the end.



Then I slowly built up further layers of cinnamon sticks until I had three or four layers around the middle. It needs this many otherwise it looks sparse around the edges.



I used shorter pieces for the final layer.



Step 3
I wanted my Cinnamon Starburst to look super-duper Christmassy as both a centre-piece AND a wreath so I wanted to add a snow effect.

I used DecoArt So Soft Fabric Paint in White.

Yes, I know cinnamon sticks aren't made of fabric, but when I tested various ways of getting the snow effect I was after, this created exactly the look I wanted.


I used my paint brush to dry-brush the paint onto the cinnamon sticks.


To dry-brush, you only need a small amount of paint on the brush at any time. So, dip the brush in your paint and dab it repeatedly onto an absorbent cloth. Can you see how dry the paint looks on my brush?

Then you need to almost rub the brush onto the sticks, rather than normal back-and-forth painting.


Ideally, you only want to cover each section once to avoid a painted look; I wanted more of a 'freshly fallen scattering of snow'.

That's why I used my 4 inch brush. It's coverage is quick and excellent for dry brushing. It's really worth using a good quality brush like this one. Who wants to be picking out paint hairs afterwards!!?

Now for the fun bit!!

If you want to use the Cinnamon Starburst Wreath for a table centre-piece, you just slot the large pillar candle into the middle and light up!


It looks SO beautfiul, and as the candle warms the cinnamon sticks, the whole room is filled with the most gorgeous aromatic fragrance.


And now for the magic second step!

To use the cinnamon starburst as a wreath, remove the candle, loop a length of gorgeous fabric through the centre of the wreath and hang it up!


I used two layers of material, one in snowy white and the other a red gingham to give the Cinnamon Starburst wreath a Christmas-in-the-Country feel!


This is the Transformer of the wreath world!! A wreath and table centre-piece two-in-one!!

Merry Christmas to you all, my lovely friends.

Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





62 comments :

Anonymous said...

Looks great, and it will smell delicious, don't it?

have a nice weekend!

greetings

High Street Cottage said...

Very pretty Sarah, It must smell divine :) Love the fabric backdrop. Hope you're having a wonderful day, it's pouring rain here. hugs tami

Courtenay@Signal Hill Interiors said...

Ok, this is totally brilliant! I wish I had thought of it myself! It would make a pretty good year-round kitchen wreath too, wouldn't it?

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

I agree with Courtney, it would look fantastic any time of year. I'm a little scared of super glue, though. I, too, have had that scarey moment when you think you're going to have to be rushed to hospital because you've glued your fingers together. Eeek!

Catherine said...

Ooooh, I love this idea!! What a really clever idea for a two-in-one wreath and table piece!! And the smell as well would be delish!!

Yum!

hugs

Cath

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah
Thanks for this detailed tutorial!
You are a perfect teacher!
Hugs
Mari

Erin said...

That is super brilliant Sarah!!! I bet that does smell wonderful:)

KimMalk said...

How pretty, I like that you use it two ways. You can't beat the wonderful fragrance of the cinnamon.

Lisa said...

Great idea! This is so pretty!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Brilliant!
I bet the smell is amazing. A friday's favorite for sure :-)
Merry Christmas~

Samantha said...

Very pretty and multifunctional - love it, Sarah!

Anonymous said...

completely fabulous and wonderfully versatile. Must look lovely on your table, candle rings are so nice. Awesome job!

michelle said...

I love it!! What a great idea to make your home smell so yummy!!! Very pretty my friend!!!!

xoxo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

The more I read your blog, the more I admire you!

I'm imaging the smell! I love cinnamon and this seems to be something I can do it. It's great to learn with you, Sarah!

Have a Bright weekend!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Unknown said...

Your gonna have to watch this cinnamon addiction Sarah!;)

Lovely lovely as centrepiece, can imagine you having your eureka moment!xx

WobiSobi said...

What a great idea! Love it!, can't wait to make one.

Anonymous said...

MMMMmmm... I can smell the cinnamon from here. What a great idea. Two wreaths in one. I like how you added the shorter sticks in the middle for dimension! Love that tablecloth, too. Very cozy and pretty!!! I used a wreath in the center of our dining room table, also. Great minds think alike :)

It's very cold here, today! Weird, but I'm hoping for snow. Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

xx,
~Michelle

Cidinha said...

Dear Sarahx,

I love your visits and comments. Thank you.
What fantastic ideas, and simple tutorial and easy! You can feel the smell in the air ... delicious!I'm your newest follower.

Hugs
Cidinha

Unknown said...

Aw! Lovely starburst!! We would love for you to link this up at Fancy This Fridays at Truly Lovely! http://trulylovelywiththelaneysisters.blogspot.com/2010/12/fancy-this-fridays-edition-3.html

Heather said...

That looks terrific! I bet it smells wonderful too :)

It's me said...

Look at that !!!! amazing !!! ...lovely weekend .....love Ria.....

Heather said...

Looks yummy! Great idea.

Amanda said...

I featured you today! Happy Holidays!

Amanda
todaystoptwenty.blogspot.com

Christine said...

I'll bet it smells unbelievable! And is so cute. I love cinnamon in crafts.....

Holly said...

Aren't you smart?! That's a really great idea, and even better that you can use it in more than one way. I can smell it now!

Anne said...

I love it! and i bet it smells good, too....

Raine and Sage said...

Fantastic Sarah they both look great. Christmas spirit with a natural element. Well done! Sonia :)

Brenda Pruitt said...

That two-for-one idea of yours is a real winner! I love it. And I know it smells delightful!
Brenda

Vanessa said...

Check you out...a 2 for one!! I absolutely love this Sarah and although the wreath in and of itself is gorgeous, I especially love how it looks up against that beautiful wallpaper. That is wallpaper right? I want it! :-) You just blow me away with your talent and creativity my friend! Thank you so much for joining my party with your wonderful Christmas inspirations!
Vanessa

Brandi said...

Lovely Sarah! I love the idea of using it as wreath and centerpiece! I bet your house smells great. So great that your family probably thinks there's a pie in the oven! : )

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Oh Sarah I love this wreath/ centerpiece idea! I can almost smell the cinnamon from here! I love it as a wreath for the kitchen- so perfect and the cinnamon will only add to the already wonderful smells of baking. Well done!

Ann said...

Oh that would be such a gorgeous centerpiece...and its aroma would be such a welcome scent during the holidays:)

Tricia said...

This is such a good idea Sarah! Mmmm...I bet it smells wonderful. I wonder what it would look like with a small evergreen wreath layered over the top of it? Good I think :)

Holly Lefevre said...

This is lovely and gorgeous and I can just imagine how wonderful it smells! DecoArt has a product called Snow Tex too. Not sure if you can get it over there or not...but I just (literally just) used it and I am in LOVE with it. Happy Weekend!
Holly

Deb said...

This is so super duper cute...love it Sarah! ~Deb~

Unknown said...

hi!we have awarded you the stylish blogger award. Check it out here: http://tosewwithlove.blogspot.com/2010/12/stylish-blogger-award-yay.html

^^)

Unknown said...

Just lovely!
We have lots of snow where I am (at last) I am beginning to feel very festive! :)

Unknown said...

Oh! I love cinnamon!!!! and I will use it for my Christmas table, but I haven't tought of making a wreath or a centerpiece...untill now! Thank you for this gorgeous idea!
Hope you're having a great week end!
Mara

Lee Weber said...

YUMMY- all the way around!!

Unknown said...

This looks beautiful!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Gorgeous, Sarah! I can't decide which way I like it better. It looks great on the wall AND on the table. I love that you added another layer of shorter sticks. Just beautiful!

Megan Gunyan said...

SUCH a great idea! I bet it smells wonderful in your house! I love it as a centerpiece, too! AWESOME!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

I really love this idea. It's so pretty, and the fact that it smells good is a bonus.

Cidinha said...

I went to wish you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. May the coming year be filled with plenty of inspiration, health and love, so we can all be helped with their beautiful creations.

Hugs
Cidinha

Kristin @ Daydream Designs said...

Very pretty! I love it as a centerpiece.

Kitty Deschanel said...

What a pretty craft idea! I just picked up a giant bag of cinnamon sticks at The Dollar Store and was wondering what to do with them after Sexy Nerd announced he wouldn't trust eating anything made with them! :)

Magali said...

Hi!
I successfully suscribed to your blog... For some reason the first time I tried I never got the "active your suscription" mail (or maybe it was in my spams...). I love the red and white fabric you chose: it's everything Christmas should be according to me: red, white and no glitter!
Magali xxx

Katherine said...

Hopping over to say Good Morning. I enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog. hugs, Katherine P.S. stop by for a visit

Twigs and Twirls said...

Oh loving this. I have bags and bags of cinnamon sticks in my stash. This might just be the thing to make !!! Great idea and I bet it smells wonderful.

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Hello, Sweet Sarah,

Thanks for checking if everything is ok! That's so sweet of you! I'm having a bad cold, but that didn't stop me. :-) Actually, I am preparing some posts for the next week and trying to clean my house, play with kids! Oh, my! Yeah.. busy bee! :-)

Anyways, make sure you go check my post tomorrow. :-)

Have a great Sunday too!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

LOVE it Sarah!! Merry Christmas my super talented and sweet friend!!~*~*~*HUGS, Rachel

*French Farmhouse 425*

Jill said...

What a clever girl you are! it looks really good, and must smell divine.
Keep warm
Jillx

Simple Home said...

Oh Sarah, this turned out so nice, and it comes with the added benefit of sweet smelling cinnamon sticks :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Belle Inspirations said...

Sending Peace, Love and Joy to you this Christmas.

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

I'm back again! :-) How many of my comments are you going to find in this post? lol

I just want to thank you from my heart for your comment today. You're a very sweet person and I'm blessed for knowing you. I adore your blog and I learn so much, but the best part of all is that is made by a very special woman.

Have a wonderful week, Sarah!

xo


Luciane at HomeBunch.com


PS: I love the heart garland that you've made, that's why I used that picture. You're so talented, Sarah.

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

I'm back again! :-) How many of my comments are you going to find in this post? lol

I just want to thank you from my heart for your comment today. You're a very sweet person and I'm blessed for knowing you. I adore your blog and I learn so much, but the best part of all is that is made by a very special woman.

Have a wonderful week, Sarah!

xo


Luciane at HomeBunch.com


PS: I love the heart garland that you've made, that's why I used that picture. You're so talented, Sarah.

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say Thanks SO Much for linking up at Truly Lovely!!! Hope to see you again and again!!!
http://trulylovelywiththelaneysisters.blogspot.com

designchic said...

Pretty and festive...I can almost smell the cinnamon!!

Valerie@chateaualamode.typepad.com said...

WOW, how fun. I love cinnamon!

TELMA GUEDES said...

great idea! lovely! Merry Christmas from Brasil!

Natasha in Oz said...

I can almost smell that delicious wreath from here! Yum!

I hope that your Christmas is very Merry and that you enjoy the happiness and joy of this special season. See you in 2011!

Blessings and best Christmas wishes,
Natasha.

Blooming Rose Musings said...

This is gorgeous!!! I am going to make one this afternoon. I love using wreaths for centerpieces but have never had a cinnamon wreath...I imagine the aroma must be fabulous. LOVE it!

I have had a heavy work schedule so I'm just catching up on blogs.
I love all your ideas.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10